Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dream Job

By Marni Kent

Professional Nanny

Dream Job
In December of 2006, I accepted what I thought to be the ultimate position, to the pinnacle of my career as a nanny. I thought this was a family of values, morales, and integrity, only to discover it was the most dysfunctional high profile family I have encountered in my career.
Part of the thinking was manifested by myself, and falsehoods that were stated by the employer. The lesson to be learned here is to do the best work you can, also, always exceed not only your employers expectations but your own.
While it's very nice to hear an employer express their long term commitment to you, you should always remain cautious to the point of working like you are not going to be there the next day. From time to time, we want to believe our employer has our best interest at heart, and as a result of this belief we lose perspective of how empty those words can be a lot of the time.
It becomes a tough pill to swallow when though no fault of your own, your employer has a knee jerk reaction to a negative family event that costs you your job!
My point in sharing this with you is that sometimes we become so immersed in the family circle that we forget we are an employee only, and still an outsider looking in. To this end never forget you are an advocate for the children, and not a referee to the parents.
So stay focused, determined, keep doing what you love most in your profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment